textSpanner at arbitrary positions independent of music

From: Ryan Michael
Subject: textSpanner at arbitrary positions independent of music
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 00:37:54 -0700

Hi all

So i have a scenario where I want a textSpanner to follow a heading i have
over the treble clef of a system where there is only action in the left hand (Bass clef). e.g.

%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"
up = \new Staff = "up" {
r1/^\markup{\huge "molto rit."}  r1\startTextSpanner r1 r1\stopTextSpanner
}

down = \new Staff = "down" {
c,,4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4 c4
}
{
  \new PianoStaff <<
         \up
   \down

}
%%%%

my issues is that i want the spanner to really start immediately after the markup. do i have to make some fake notes in the right hand to anchor the spanner or can i just move it around by other means?

best,
ryan.
--
ॐ नमः शिवाय