BarNumber.whiteout over StaffGroup vertical lines

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: BarNumber.whiteout over StaffGroup vertical lines
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 14:08:30 -0400

Hi there,

Not sure if this is a bug or if I am using it wrong.

I've started using :
\consists "Mark_engraver"
\consists "Bar_number_engraver"
, etc
inside StaffGroups since it is now working.
(Fixed with I think 622cab6a34 (Thanks to Dan Eble))

But I get a strange and inconsistent result with whiteouts of the
Bar_number_engraver.
The two images I've attached to this email are from a 400+ measures
score. Sometimes the bar number is in front of the vertical system
line and sometimes it is behind. I have not figured out what is
different in each case as it pops-up rather anywhere.

But! I have managed (by error) to "trigger" the behavior in the
following MWE might you {un,}comment line 4.

\version "2.21.0"

music = \repeat unfold 7 {c'4}
%music = \repeat unfold 8 {c'4}

\score {
  <<
    {s1 \break}
    \new StaffGroup \music
    \new StaffGroup \music

  \layout {
    \override Score.BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #CENTER
    \override Score.BarNumber.whiteout = #4
    \context {
      \Score
      \remove "Bar_number_engraver"