Re: Not Nice Review of the LilyPond

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: Not Nice Review of the LilyPond
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 19:47:35 +0100

On Sun, Dec 02, 2018 at 04:53:58PM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:

> The proposed _ly-syntax_ is
> \parenthesize <whatever>
> \parenthesize #'left <whatever>
> \parenthesize #'right <whatever>
> No parens.

To be honest I still find that syntax hard to understand.
Replace the 3 <whatever> with A B and C, how would the
above code render those chords ?

I'm guessing it would be:

    A ( B C )

But if that's the case, what is the initial \parenthesize for ?

Note I used code found in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-10/msg00574.html
which has similar hard-to-understand syntax, I used as such:

        | g2:6 \leftParen bes2:dim5 |
        a4:m7 \rightParen d2:7

Guess how it is rendered ?
For obscure reason, the right paren goes _after_
the d2:7 (which is what I want, but looks weird
in the source code).

Please note: I love the lilypond and even more the _community_ around
it, so don't take my observations as destructive as they really don't
want to be :)

--strk;