Re: score-lines-markup-list in Lyrics?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: score-lines-markup-list in Lyrics?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 09:45:58 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> this works:
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> tst = \markuplist \italic #(make-list 2 "buzz")
>
> <<
>   \new Staff { R1 \break R1 }
>   \new Lyrics \lyricmode { address@hidden }
>>>

> This doesn't work:
>
> tstA =
> \markuplist \score-lines { \repeat unfold 80 a'16 }
>
> <<
>   \new Staff { R1 \break R1 }
>   \new Lyrics \lyricmode { address@hidden }
>>>

> I have some vague thoughts why it refuses to work, though I can't
> really word them ...

A list of markups is only one possible form of a markup list.
Obviously™ a markup command call cannot be a list of markups since the
call is only done when typesetting and then a list of stencils (not of
markups) is getting produced.

> Anyway, is it somehow doable?

Lyrics would need to accept markup lists.  That's not readily possible
since the number of stencils produced is only known at the time of
calling the markup list command (during iteration) and the length of a
music expression is often needed before.

So I don't readily see how this could be reliably done.

--
David Kastrup