Re: Multiple tempos at the same time and midi playback?

From: DJF
Subject: Re: Multiple tempos at the same time and midi playback?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:33:25 -0500

On Dec 13, 2018, at 7:33 AM, Yakir Arbib <address@hidden> wrote:

> I write modern classical music in which each instrument has its' own
> separate tempo.  My question is, do you think it's possible to write
> something like that in LilyPond using separate tempo commands for each
> staff?

To get a separate tempo marking in each staff, you would, in a \layout block,
remove the Metronome_mark_engraver from the Score level, and add it to the
Staff level. Because you’re new to LilyPond, I’ve attached a little longer and
more complete example than usual and also included its contents below.

I would hasten to add that this is a visual fix only—the various tempi will not
be rendered in MIDI playback. If you add a \midi { } line at the end of the
\score block, it will use the last metronome mark (in the example below, 4 =
110) as its tempo for all the parts. Someone more knowledgable than I will have
to tell you if it's even possible to get separate tempi rendered
simultaneously. I suspect not.

I hope this is helpful.

Dan

%%%%%