Re: feathered beam calculations

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: feathered beam calculations
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:07:30 +1100

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 at 19:34, N. Andrew Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi List,

I'm trying to use the \featherDurations command on a brief passage:

\relative c' {
a,,^\markup { \italic "subito meno mosso" }\( b cis dis eis8\)
 \override Beam.grow-direction = #LEFT
  \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 2/1)
 { a,32[\( b cis dis eis]\)\fermata }
 \override Beam.grow-direction = #'()
 < a, cis e >16 < a cis e >

}

What I want is for that feathered group on the fourth line to occupy the duration of exactly one eighth note. As there are five notes, I'm struggling with the math, and thus what to put after ly:make-moment.

Can you advise as to what the numbers should be?

I just consulted one of the two feathered beams I’ve written this century. I was initially a bit baffled about the number I had chosen. It turns out that number is just for MIDI playback (correct me if I’m wrong) and you just put the notes inside a tuplet and omit the number. For typesetting purposes the total length of the unaltered notes is what counts:

\version "2.18.2"

\relative d {
  \clef bass
  \time 4/4
  d2 e4~
  \override Beam.grow-direction = #RIGHT
  \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 3/4)
  {
    \once \override TupletNumber.stencil = ##f
    \tuplet 5/4 { e16 [ dis-. ais-. fis'-. d-. ] } |
  }
  \revert Beam.grow-direction
  cis1 |
}