Re: Automatic narrowing in Emacs?

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Automatic narrowing in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:31:26 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
To: David Sumbler <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:14:29 +0100

David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:

> I now realise that in these cases the buffer has been "narrowed".
> This is a useful feature of Emacs that I wasn't even aware of
> previously, and no doubt I shall start to use it intentionally in
> future.
>
> But I find that a large buffer gets narrowed automatically when I am
> editing, even though I have not given a command for this.  Even if I
> then issue a 'widen' command (Ctrl-x n w) the buffer gets narrowed
> again after short while.

The key sequences for narrowing are _disabled_ by default as narrowing
is confusing.  If you haven't enabled them, this should not be an
issue.

Looking at LilyPond-mode, I see a few occurences of narrowing:

$ git grep narrow
lilypond-indent.el:      (narrow-to-region
lilypond-mode.el:      (narrow-to-region start end)
lilypond-song.el:          (narrow-to-region (or (mark) (point))
(point)))

Those are likely for purely programmatic reasons.  If you are plagued
here, you may want to review the respective Elisp passages to see if
the narrow-to-region sequences are reliably reversed (by being encapsulated in
constructs that are guaranteed to restore the state of narrowing even when
exited in error cases).