Re: Letters as note heads

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Letters as note heads
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 05:02:10 -0800

On 2019-01-06 9:54 pm, Kyle Wightman Baldwin wrote:
I'm trying to create a handout where the note heads are actually letters.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to do this, but I'm having a hard time
finding it.  I came across the "Easy play" note heads, but they are
too small and I would prefer it without the actual note heads.

Just a friendly reminder that providing a "tiny example"[1] is very helpful to give us an idea of how far you have managed to get on your own.

But to address your question, you can customize any stencil as you see fit. The documentation[2] provides one method of using arbitrary markup in place of a stencil, which would seem suitable for your needs. However, that specific example uses a fixed value rather than one based on the pitch of the note. Here is a variation on that theme that looks up a string in a list to achieve what you are after:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\relative c' {
  \override NoteHead.stencil = #(lambda (grob)
    (let* ((cause (ly:grob-property grob 'cause))
           (pitch (ly:event-property cause 'pitch))
           (notenames '("C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "A" "B"))
           (notename (list-ref notenames (ly:pitch-notename pitch))))
      (grob-interpret-markup grob #{ \markup
        \halign #0 \vcenter \fontsize #-2 \sans \bold $notename #})))
  \hide Stem
  c4 d e fis g a bes c
}
%%%%