Re: Help with figured bass

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Help with figured bass
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 21:08:27 -0500

Hi Mark,

Attached, below, is the way I would code your example. You’ll see that I’ve
separated the definition of the notes (etc.) from the score — I find it much
easier to parse that way.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.80"

global = {
  \key d \major
  s1*2
}

theNotes_upper = \relative c'' {
  a1
  d1
}

theNotes_lower = \relative c' {
  d1
  d1
}

theFigures = \figuremode {
  <5>1
  <8>1
}

\score {
 \new StaffGroup <<
   \new Staff << \global \theNotes_upper >>
   \new Staff << \global \theNotes_lower >>
   \new FiguredBass \theFigures

}
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

> On Jan 8, 2019, at 8:47 PM, Mark Probert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I'm having a problem getting LilyPond to do a figured bass. I've read
> the manual, and followed the examples, but I have clearly missed
> something out.
>
> Here is the code I am currently using
>
> ---< cut >---
> \score {
>  \new StaffGroup <<
>    \new Staff {
>      \relative c'' {
>        \key d \major
>        a1 |
>           d1 \bar "||"
>      }
>    }
>    \new Staff = "myStaff" {
>      \figuremode { <5>1 <8> }
>      \context Staff = "myStaff" {
>        \relative c' {
>          \key d \major
>          d1
>          d1
>        }
>      }
>    }
> }
>
> Which produces the attached. Any ideas on how I can get the figures (or
> the notes) all coming together nicely?

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden