Getting spanner length

From: Leo Correia de Verdier
Subject: Getting spanner length
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:43:34 +0100

Dear list!

I’m all new to lily pond and trying to create a custom spanner (a couple of parallel lines connecting some of the holes of two fingering charts). To hack this together I would need the length of the spanner I’m modifying or replacing. I’ve put this piece of code together to extract it and can’t understand what mistake I’ve made:

\version "2.18.2"
\relative c'' {
  \once \override TextSpanner.stencil =
  #(lambda (grob)
     (let (grob-X (interval-length (ly:stencil-extent (ly:grob-property grob 'stencil) X)))
       (make-line-stencil .2 1 1 grob-X 4)
       )
     )
  d \startTextSpan
  c b
  a \stopTextSpan
}

I attempted to abstract it from this piece of code https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg81685.html

Do you have any other sources or better suggestions for custom spanners? This doesn’t have to be very complex or be able to cover line breaks.

Thanks a lot!

/Leo