Re: Getting point-and-click working

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Getting point-and-click working
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:43:16 +0000

Thank you all for your help in this matter.

Today I have point-and-click working as it should, with AppArmor
apparently doing what it is supposed to do.

What made the difference was the following:

The Usage Manual 4.1.1 says that the lines
        # For Textedit links
        /usr/local/bin/lilypond-invoke-editor Cx -> sanitized_helper,
should be added to the file /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.bin.evince .
This file did not exist, although there are several other files in that
directory, so I had created the file and put just the two lines above
in it.  Unfortunately, as I reported, point-and-click didn't work for
me.

With the difficulties I was having, yesterday I disabled AppArmor for
Evince by adding a soft link to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince in
/etc/apparmor.d/disable/ .  This is what made point-and-click work
eventually for me yesterday.

However, following your latest emails to the list on the topic, today I
thought I would have another go.  I deleted the disabling link, and ran
'sudo apparmor_parser -r -T -W /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince'
 again.  I also ran
'sudo apparmor_parser -r -T -W /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.bin.evince'.
I don't know whether that needed to be done or not, but I found that it
throws out a syntax error.

So I copied the lines out of the second file and inserted them into the
main usr.bin.evince file.  I then deleted
/etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.bin.evince .

After I ran
'sudo apparmor_parser -r -T -W /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince'once more, I
found that point-and-click works as it should.

I don't pretend to understand what is going on here, but in summary it appears
that if the additional lines are added to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince rather
than to /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.bin.evince it all works.

I should add that, in addition to the above, I have corrected the
ownership of ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.  (I don't know
how this came to be owned by root: I have looked at my bash history,
and I certainly had not run
'xdg-mime default lilypond-invoke-editor.desktop x-scheme-handler/textedit'
with sudo.)

The point-and-click facility will be very useful to me now that I have
got to the point of correcting and tweaking a 150-page score and its
associated parts.  But without your helpful suggestions, I would never
have got it working, so thanks again.

David