Aligning scores in a grid-like manner

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Aligning scores in a grid-like manner
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 21:43:21 +0100

Hi all,
a while ago I had the idea of creating a variant of the popular "pairs"
game with different notes, clefs,
time signatures etc.
I created the individual parts as Lilypond scores, which I exported as
svg files and did the final "assembly" to
a grid-like layout with Inkscape.
Attached is a small cutout of the final layout.
I'm curious, however, if it's possible to compose a bunch of lilypond
scores to a equally horizontally and vertically
aligned "grid" with lilypond alone.
What I use up to now is something like:

\version "2.19.0"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
    \override StaffSymbol #'width = 20

\score {
  \new Staff { e'4 }
}

\score {
  \new Staff { c'2 }
}

Maybe it is a completely improper approach to use a score for each part
of the grid and I have to
use one score per grid row, blanking out the space between the columns.
Glad to hear your advice.

Michael