Re: Partcombine with drums?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Partcombine with drums?
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 15:30:14 -0800

On 2019-02-17 2:38 pm, Pedro Pessoa wrote:
Hello!
Is there a known way of using partcombine with drums?
I'm not familiar with it, but I tried to do it as in the notation reference. I found nothing about this limitation in neither manuals, mailing archive or
LSR.
Thanks!

%% Snippet Begin
\version "2.19.82"

drumA = \drummode { sn8 8 8 8 }
drumB = \drummode { bd8 8 8 8 }
drumAB=\drummode {<bd sn>8 q q q}
melA = \relative c''{ d8 8 8 8 }
melB = \relative c''{ g8 8 8 8 }

{
  % Doesn't work.
  \new DrumStaff \partcombine \drumA \drumB

  % Should output (created manually):
  \new DrumStaff \drumAB

  % Regular music works under similar conditions:
  \new Staff \partcombine \melA \melB
}
%%

\drummode creates NoteEvents with a 'drum-type instead of 'pitch, and \partCombine expects pitches.

An alternate way to achieve what you want is to use this construction:

%%%%
    \new DrumStaff \new DrumVoice << \drumA \drumB >>
%%%%

It is not the same thing as \partCombine, but I suspect it makes more sense for drum parts.

-- Aaron Hill