Re: Custom upbow and downbow markings

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Custom upbow and downbow markings
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 10:06:14 +0100

Hi Andrew,

Am 21.02.19 um 05:08 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hello All,

Continuing my investigations here, with reference to the list archive:

I have tried making a custom articulation, rather than a text markup, and of course, all the alignment issues are solved. MWE below.

I will now transform my question. I have copied this code idea rather blindly with little understanding. Where is there any tutorial or reference information on extending lilypond to create new articulations?

This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday after arriving at the point that my problem was solved. Adding custom articulations is a pretty obscure technique (I mean, you "hijack" one of LilyPond's built-in data structures) but I think a valid one that should be made available.

I didn't feel up to writing a tutorial yet because there are too many grey areas wrt my current level of knowledge. But we could commit to writing a tutorial post together, which would give the context and the opportunity to sort these things out.

What do you think?
Best
Urs

Would a sampler like this be a good addition to LSR to help others out in the future?

Andrew

%=====
\version "2.19.82"

upbowMarkup =
\markup
\override #'(filled . #t)
\path #0.01
#'((moveto 0 1.3)
   (lineto 0.25 1.3)
   (lineto 0.57 0.46)
   (lineto 0.9 1.3)
   (lineto 1 1.3)
   (lineto 0.5 0)
   (lineto 0 1.3)
   (closepath))

% define new articulation
#(append! default-script-alist
   (list
    `("upbow-acb"
       . (
           (text . ,#{ \markup \upbowMarkup #})
           (stencil . ,ly:text-interface::print)
           ; any other properties
           (toward-stem-shift-in-column . 0.0)
           (padding . 0.30)
           (avoid-slur . around)
           ;(script-priority . 100)
           (direction . ,UP)
           ))))

upbowAcb = #(make-articulation "upbow-acb")

treble = {
  \time 2/4
  \override Stem.length = #18
  \override StringNumber.script-priority = #4000
  a''4^.\1\downbow
  a8^.^\upbowAcb\2
  s8

  \override StringNumber.script-priority = #0
  a''4\1\upbowAcb
  a8^.\2\upbowAcb
  s8
  \bar "."