Re: Gvim and lilypond and emacs

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Gvim and lilypond and emacs
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:31:25 +1100

Hi David,

Funny, I have been using vi since it was invented by Bill Joy. Quite some time. (!) But I always use emacs, and I have to say I had never heard of gvim before this exercise. So it's a learning exercise for me to come to grips with the vast machinery of gvim. Here's something I found. Just run

$ gvim

and it detaches and runs. You can use it as a server with gvim --remote commands, and the name it acquires when you specify no --servername option, just plain gvim, is GVIM. You can see this name, in upper case on the window title bar. Proof that this works is:

$ gvim --serverlist
GVIM

So that's handy to know, and simple.

I am beginning to think a more extensive section on setting up point and click is needed in the manual. Perhaps when I comprehend it and deal with all the matters like 'press ENTER ...' appearing every time I click the PDF and so on I could draft something. I'd still be using emacs but my current string quartet score of only 60 pages makes even emacs in lilypond mode slow down to the point of unusability, ten or fifteen seconds to position the cursor, on  a very fast computer workstation.

Andrew

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 15:58, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat 23 Feb 2019 at 20:11:06 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Now I have never used gvim before today, so perhaps the servermorde has to
> be configured somehow?

$ gvim --servername GVIM
$ vim --servername GVIM

according to taste. (The latter runs in the xterm itself.) I've never
bothered to change GVIM as foxfanfare has done.