Re: weird error with \repeat tremolo

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: weird error with \repeat tremolo
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 01:48:02 -0800

On 2019-02-25 1:37 am, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
Hi List,

I have the following passage:

--------------------
\version "2.19.82"

\relative c'' {
 \time 4/8
  | %45
  d32\( b g d \repeat tremolo 4 { b32 } \repeat tremolo 8 { g32 }

  | %46
  \repeat tremolo 8 { d'32 } \repeat tremolo 8 { g,32\) }

}

--------------------------
It compiles fine. But if I move it up one octave -- either by changing the
enclosing command to \relative c''' or by changing the first note to
d'32\(, it fails with the following error:

Starting lilypond 2.19.82 [Untitled]...
Processing `/tmp/frescobaldi-ujaa3_0t/tmptlvddq78/document.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...lilypond:
/home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-64/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-stable-2.20/flower/include/interval.hh:227:
T Interval_t<T>::center() const [with T = double]: Assertion `!is_empty ()'
failed.
Exited with return code 6.

I do not have a directory named "/home/gub".

Any ideas what's going wrong here?

That's a failing assertion in the code. The path is to the compiled file when it was built, so it is not relevant to your filesystem. Ultimately this is a programming error; but unfortunately, this is at the C++ level, so it would require a new build of LilyPond to address.

A similar issue was reported not too long ago regarding tremolos and beams. I found via some experimentation that too short of a note stem can trigger the failing assertion. You could try manually lengthening the stem to see if it helps as a possible workaround.

-- Aaron Hill