Re: The composition process doesn't get disrupted using Lily Pond?

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: The composition process doesn't get disrupted using Lily Pond?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 02:04:15 -0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "H. S. Teoh" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:02:27 -0800
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:06:27PM -0800, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:

Yes, my workflow when composing using lilypond is similar to this.

[...]
>    The reason I like to start with the complete roadmap planned out is
>    that it can be a pain to update the durations.  Especially if there
>    are many instruments in the scores.

My approach is to use unique section IDs as comments in \global, e.g.:

        global = {
                \tempo ... % blah blah

                % Intro
                s1*12

                % Main theme
                s1*24

                % Episode 1
                s1*18

                % Main theme (2)
                s1*20

                % Episode 2
                s1*22

                % Conclusion
                s1*9
        }

and then repeat these comments verbatim in each instrument's part.

If you want to be able to compile sections of the score, to save time, this is also where you might consider adding tags for each section.

My personal preference is to use a single file for all parts.  Yes, I
know that sounds crazy, but I find that it really helps in keeping
things in sync, rather than scattered across multiple files that are
even harder to keep track of.  Using a text editor with nice search /
bookmarking / split-window features makes this a lot more usable than it
sounds (if you ever have to reach for the scrollbar, you're doing it
wrong).

Decent editors can handle either single files or multiples files.  From an editing point of view, this is is largely a matter of preference.

However...

Also, I highly, *highly* recommend using version control to manage your
lilypond score (if you aren't already).

I also encourage using git or some other kind of version control, which tends to lend itself to using more rather than fewer files, since when you do pushes/pulls, you can look at the file names to get some idea of what is in them, rather than having to do diffs.

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator