lmi

Re: [lmi] Re: To configure wx-2.6.2

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Re: To configure wx-2.6.2
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:50:11 +0100

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:40:35 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> I imagine that '--enable-debug_gdb' is like 'gcc -ggdb',

 Yes, it just add -ggdb to CFLAGS.

GC> but how is that different from '--enable-debug'?

 --enable-debug adds "-g -D__WXDEBUG__" to CFLAGS.

GC> I see that '--enable-debug' is "same as debug_flag and debug_info", and
GC> that 'debug_flag' defines '__WXDEBUG__'; but does --enable-debug_info
GC> create code with debugging information correspond to 'gcc -g' (when
GC> using gcc)?

 Yes.

GC> I ask because I thought that adding either '-g' or '-ggdb' increased
GC> the size of object files enormously, but wasn't aware that there was
GC> much difference between the two--is that what you're saying?

 Yes, -ggdb results in much bigger files than -g. Or at least it used to be
the case on at least some configurations, maybe it's not true any more.

GC> Anyway, suppose I want to recompile all with '--enable-debug_gdb'.
GC> My naive method would be to remove my build directory, then
GC>   ../configure && make && make install
GC> again. Is there a simpler way that's reliable? I seem to recall
GC> that the (non-automake) makefiles didn't always do anything even
GC> when I changed source code and ran 'make' again.

 You have to do "make clean" if you change just --enable-debug option as it
doesn't modify the generated wx/setup.h and the .o files only depend on it
(so if you modify other options, e.g. rerun configure with --enable-stl or
--disable-stl, then a simple "make" would work too).

GC> Now, when I do this:
GC>   /c/wxWidgets-2.6.2/build_3_4_2[0]$../configure --help 2>&1 |less
GC> I see, for example:
GC>   --enable-gui            use GUI classes
GC> Wouldn't that imply that "use GUI classes" is not a default, and must be
GC> explicitly specified?

 It would if it were correctly done but unfortunately it isn't, i.e. this
is just a bug in wx configure.in. Help for --enable-xxx switches is
generated by a macro and the macro is not smart enough to know which of
them are enabled by default. It should, of course, be

        --disable-gui           compile without GUI classes

GC> Am I correct in supposing that I can find an authoritative listing of
GC> the options actually used by reading
GC>   /wxWidgets-2.6.2/my-build-dir/lib/wx/include/msw-ansi-release-2.6/wx

 Yes.

GC> or is there a better way to find that information?

 Normally there should be no need to examine this file but if you want to
verify that configure did do what you expected from it, this is the file
you want to look at. And, if its contents doesn't correspond to your
expectations, you should look at config.log to see why configure did [not]
define something.

GC> Oh, and BTW, to run 'minimal' from the MSYS command line, I had to do
GC>   $export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/lib
GC> I think MSYS puts '/usr/local/bin' on the path by default, but not
GC> '/usr/local/lib'. But of course what wx is doing is correct, and
GC> either MSYS should be changed, or maybe I've damaged my MSYS settings.

 I don't know what is correct here to be honest. Personally I think DLLs
should go to lib because they're really close to .so under Unix. But
putting them in bin could be more convenient.

GC> Now, 'minimal' works, but the 'help' sample doesn't:

 I'll check it a.s.a.p.
VZ