lmi

[lmi] Census pasting [Was: Allow direct drill-down editing in census man

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Census pasting [Was: Allow direct drill-down editing in census manager]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:11:46 +0000

On 2010-07-24 14:48Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:06:57 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> That's what led me to the idea of displaying only columns that
> GC> aren't actually the same across all rows. New users are mystified
> GC> at first, but that only lasts a minute; once they understand it,
> GC> they think it's natural enough that they don't ask us to change it.
> GC> If everyone lives in California, then how could the US-state field
> GC> hold any interest? If people of both genders are included, then
> GC> how could gender not be significant enough to show?
>
>  I wanted to check how did this work in practice (especially if there was
> any way to see the fixed values of all the not shown columns) but I
> couldn't actually find it. Sorry in advance for the stupid question but
> what exactly should I do to see/edit this grid? Is this the same one I see
> when I do "Open" or "New" "census"?

[...snip my earlier answer...]

Another way to see it is to follow the example here:
  http://www.nongnu.org/lmi/pasting_to_a_census.html
Copy thence the "census you can copy and paste", then:
  File | New | Census
  Census | Paste census data

But if you do that with HEAD as of this moment, you won't see the
input-sequence fields 'Payment' and 'DeathBenefitOption'. They should
be displayed, but they aren't. The behavior has been incorrect since
20100703Z. I'll fix that soon; the problem is an equality-comparison
function that compares only ancillary data but ignores the primary
value.