lmi

Re: [lmi] Working around a libarchive anomaly

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Working around a libarchive anomaly
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 14:37:43 +0200

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 12:27:46 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-08-21 11:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 01:01:15 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> >
GC> > GC> On 2017-08-21 00:35, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > GC> [...]
GC> > GC>
GC> > GC> BTW, to extract MinGW-w64's gcc-6.3 archive without upgrading cygwin
GC> > GC> (thus, without upgrading 'bsdtar' or installing 'p7zip'), this is the
GC> > GC> temporary workaround I tested:
GC> > GC>
GC> > GC> cd /cache_for_lmi/downloads/
GC> > GC> wget http://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1604.exe
GC> > GC> chmod +x /cache_for_lmi/downloads/7z1604.exe
GC> > GC> /cache_for_lmi/downloads/7z1604.exe
GC> >
GC> >  Sorry, I think this is not quite right: lmi makefiles look for the x64
GC> > version (under "C:/Program Files", not "C:/Program Files (x86)", where the
GC> > 32 bit version downloaded from the URL above would be installed), so you
GC> > need to get http://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1604-x64.exe instead.
GC>
GC> Although the command I gave did work in a VM running 32-bit msw,

 Ah, sorry, I thought lmi standardized on using 64 bit MSW, but apparently
I was wrong. Now I wonder why had I been so sure of this...

GC> 64-bit msw has different requirements, so I guess Kim will want
GC> to use the command you gave. It would have been better to avoid
GC> installing '7-zip' altogether, and instead to use the Cygwin
GC> Time Machine
GC>   http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html
GC> to install a 32-bit 'p7zip' or to update 'bsdtar' instead.

 Thanks for a useful link, I didn't know about this.

GC> Alternatively, I could abandon the msw VM that I use only for
GC> running Cygwin on rare occasions,

 I wouldn't advise doing this. As useful as Wine is, it's far from being a
100% faithful to the real thing and sometimes testing inside a VM is really
necessary. Also, I think it's important to keep install_msw.sh working as a
"one button" way to install lmi for people having only a MSW machine at
their disposal.

GC> and best of all just to run GNU/Linux directly in the office.

 I'm seriously afraid the next logical step for the industry is to build
an entire Linux distribution for WebAssembly and run it inside a browser,
so please be careful what do you wish for.

 Regards,
VZ