lmi

[lmi] UWTypeIsGuaranteedIssueInTexasWithFootnote

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] UWTypeIsGuaranteedIssueInTexasWithFootnote
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 19:12:39 +0000

This mustache variable's name is easier to understand that the old XSL:

<xsl:when test="$scalars/StatePostalAbbrev='TX' and $scalars/UWType='Guaranteed
issue' and $TexasFootnote='1'">

where $TexasFootnote was set this way:

<xsl:value-of select="number($scalars/PolicyLegalName='Flexible Premium
Variable Adjustable Life Insurance Policy')"/>

[I omitted several lines of XSL that just enhance the incomprehensibility.
Oddly, it does appear that the value of $TexasFootnote doesn't depend on
any Texas nexus.]

I make no complaint about the translation from XSL, but I question the
original intention. IIRC, the public policy of Texas is that guaranteed-
issue contracts with guaranteed COI rates greater than 100% of the
standard regulatory maximum must be captioned "Substandard". It doesn't
seem that we've captured that criterion clearly, even though this logic
might very well turn out to be correct for all contracts implemented so
far on lmi. I think it would be better to establish a special flag for
this criterion elsewhere in lmi, perhaps in the product database.