lmi

[lmi] Pagination anomaly

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Pagination anomaly
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 23:47:12 +0000

Vadim--It's probably easier to reproduce and recognize this anomaly
than to describe it, so I'll send a tarball containing a census input
file by personal email (it uses only the 'sample' product and doesn't
contain any proprietary information), and ask you to:
 - Open the extracted file in lmi
 - Click the "Print census to PDF" toolbar button (ants crawling out
     of a printer, with the letters "PDF" in white on red)
 - View the 'pagination.CLERICAL.000000007.pdf' generated file
 - Examine the eighth page, captioned "Page 7 of 9"
This page is all blank except for the footer, so apparently it should
not have been generated and the output should be one page shorter.

Adding or subtracting one to the year in the "Date of birth" field
and regenerating the PDF suppresses the anomaly, producing either a
shorter illustration that lacks the "empty" page, or one that has a
single line of data toward the top of that page in addition to the
footer. Because the original PDF (generated without manipulating the
date of birth) has a full block of five years as its last quinquennial
block, I can't resist speculating that the spurious "empty" page might
invisibly show a blank line that would separate that from any following
block (of which there is none). Or something like that.

In a "distribution" generated by 'make fardel', running this case
elicited these messageboxes:

  Logic error: 1 missing extra pages.
  [file /opt/lmi/src/lmi/ledger_pdf_generator_wx.cpp, line 1203]

  Assertion 'extra_pages_ > 0' failed.
  [file /opt/lmi/src/lmi/ledger_pdf_generator_wx.cpp, line 1213]

which seem like they might be helpful for tracking down the anomaly.
However, if we just 'make install' and run the case in the directory
where that command installs lmi, no messageboxes are seen. All I can
guess is that we've done something wrong in the 'fardel', but the
messageboxes seem to fit the anomaly observed in the PDF so well
that I thought I should report them, even though I don't think you
will see them yourself.