lmi

Re: [lmi] VCS caching

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] VCS caching
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 00:54:42 +0000

On 2018-04-14 23:05, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> Why do we absolutely need to have this local
> cache that we must be able to modify instead of just using it if it's
> available?

In retrospect I see that I should have explained my goal clearly up
front, but let me do that now. Efficiency is good, but robustness is
absolutely indispensable.

If github is down, or if my network connectivity is broken, or if I'm
behind some insidious corporate firewall that has added a new rule that
breaks everything...I don't want such circumstances to prevent me from
working. I've had far too many days ruined by problems like that.

My goal is not to relive such nightmares.

Running 'install_msw.sh' on an msw machine with no copied-over cache
will fail if any one of these servers is unreachable (or blocked by a
firewall):

  savannah.nongnu.org
  ftp.gnu.org
  sourceforge.net
  cygwin.com
  apache.org
  storage.googleapis.com
  github.com
  xmlsoft.org

The probability that they're all up simultaneously may be ninety
percent, which is not remotely good enough. The probability that a
corporate firewall allows all of them simultaneously is distressingly
low.

But if I copy over the contents of a current cache directory, I want
to know that 'install_msw.sh' is guaranteed to succeed. And I don't
want that guarantee to depend on my diligence in manually maintaining
a mirror of everything--I want scripts and makefiles to take care of
their own caching automatically, and 'install_msw.sh' to take care of
all the other scripts and makefiles, so that if 'install_msw.sh'
worked yesterday, it'll work today.