lmi

Re: [lmi] Saving and restoring window geometry

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Saving and restoring window geometry
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 12:52:30 +0000

On 2018-04-18 21:58, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2018-04-18 13:43, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 12:33:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> look at 'HKCU\Software\lmi\lmi_wx\Persistent_Options\Window\lmi_main'.

It's inconvenient to use 'regedit' to see what's going on. Is there an
easy way to show the settings that are saved when lmi is closed, just
for debugging? I'm thinking of something like...

 int Skeleton::OnExit()
 {
+     wxArrayString settings =  wxPersistenceManager...
+     ... format data in some simple way
+     wxMessageOutputStderr().Output(settings);
     return wxApp::OnExit(); // Deletes config_.
 }

producing something like:

Maximized 1
h 200
w 400

You could probably do that much more easily than I. The motivation is
to make discussions like this easier by copying and pasting such output
instead of trying to describe behavior verbosely and imprecisely in
English, or using 'regedit' (which is probably blocked on corporate
machines anyway). That way, I hope we can more easily identify and
dismiss wine peculiarities.

>> GC>  - close and reopen, then maximize, then close and reopen, and unmaximize
>> GC>      neither size nor position is restored
>> GC>      it's the same size as a maximized window
>>
>>  I do see this and it's indeed a (known) problem. It's actually even worse
>> for me because the window appears as maximized on the wrong (primary)
>> monitor instead of the one on which I had maximized it before, so it's
>> really annoying. I'd like to fix this, but I think it would involve doing
>> it in wxWidgets itself, so I probably need to do it very soon, before you
>> upgrade the version used by lmi. Could you please let me know when (at the
>> earliest) will this happen?
>
> We're reexamining our short-term plans, so let me get back to you tomorrow.

We haven't yet been able to begin testing any wx upgrade in earnest.
If you can fix this within, say, one week from now, then we'd rather
wait for you to do that before we begin testing. Does that work for you?

Could you also write a little patch to make lmi's tabbed input dialog
persistent? We currently save the selected tab during a session:

  MvcController::MvcController
    BookControl().ChangeSelection(last_selected_page[view_.ResourceFileName()]);

but that information is lost when lmi closes. I'm assuming that
wxPersistenceManager would save the tab selection...but if my guess
is wrong and it saves only window geometry, then this wouldn't be
useful after all.