lmi

Re: [lmi] 'wine' anomalies

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'wine' anomalies
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 15:07:33 +0200

On Fri, 4 May 2018 21:26:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Fourth option (pushed): Specify wxSP_ARROW_KEYS. See commit 7e6a56c4d19.
GC> I conjecture that wxXRC's default wxSpinCtrl style is
GC>   wxSP_ARROW_KEYS|wxALIGN_RIGHT

 No, actually it is just wxSP_ARROW_KEYS (combined with wxSP_VERTICAL which
is default anyhow, so irrelevant), see

https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/blob/2a5aafb27419efb36999e24dbcc091eacea56286/src/xrc/xh_spin.cpp#L48

But the default style of wxSpinCtrl created in C++ code is
wxSP_ARROW_KEYS|wxALIGN_RIGHT which is inconsistent -- and something I
hadn't realized during our previous discussion of this.

GC> because, in order to get wxALIGN_LEFT behavior, it suffices to specify
GC> wxSP_ARROW_KEYS alone.

 This always works, i.e. if you specify the style explicitly, it overrides
the default one both in XRC and in C++ code.

GC> This seems to suggest an anomalous disagreement between the spin
GC> control's own defaults (if you just put one on the screen without XRC)
GC> and wxXRC's spin-control defaults.

 Yes, and this does need to be fixed.

GC> This discussion:
GC>   https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2009-05/msg00005.html
GC> seems relevant. But I don't need any wx change here, because I've found
GC> an effective workaround--at least with 'wine'.

 I still think wx should be changed and, after rereading the discussion
from 9 years ago (thanks for the link, it is safe to say I wouldn't have
remembered it without it), I believe that the better choice is to remove
wxALIGN_RIGHT from the default style in C++, for all the reasons stated
there. So I made https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/805 and will
merge it soon if there are no strenuous objections to it.

 AFAICS, this means that when lmi updates its wxWidgets version again,
explicit use of wxSP_ARROW_KEYS won't be needed any longer.

GC> And I have a new anomaly to report:
GC>   File | New | Illustration
GC>   "Client" tab:
GC>     focus the "Issue age" spincontrol
GC>     hover the mouse pointer over that spincontrol's upward arrow
GC>     press and release the up-arrow key
GC> Contents change from "45" to "46"...then back to "45".

 Do I understand correctly that this happens only under Wine? Because I
can't reproduce this under native OS... I can try testing under Wine later,
but if it really only happens there, I'm not sure if it's really worth
trying to debug/work around it, as you say, it's not exactly a critical
bug. But please let me know if you'd like me to look into it.

 Thanks,
VZ