lout-users

missing microfeatures in Lout 3.11

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: missing microfeatures in Lout 3.11
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 13:03:24 +0100

Hello All,
Hello Jeff,

I'm still missing support of two-sided printing in Lout (some
PostScript printers [with a specific optional hardware tray, eg HP4M
printers] have the ability to print on both sides of a paper
sheet. This is very useful!

I believe that it is just a matter of adding

%%BeginFeature: *Duplex True
   << /Duplex true >> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature

in the output PostScript. But I don't know exactly where.

On Unix I have a shell script invoking sed:

# file scripts/duplexps
# Time-stamp: <May 13 1997 12:44:14 address@hidden>
# filter to add recto-verso printing
sed -e '/^%%Begin/i\
%%BeginFeature: *Duplex True\
   << /Duplex true >> setpagedevice\
%%EndFeature' $1
## eof $Id: duplexps,v 0.1 1997/05/13 10:44:21 basile Exp $

but it doesn't work well on lout output (the printer does print on
both sides, but the other side is left empty; so in practice it prints
on only one side, but two times slower [since it reverts each sheet]).

Actually, perhaps the paper sheet & 1 or 2 side printing &
color|monochrome printing should be an option to lout command.

This basically means that

   lout -a4paper

should behave (i.e. be a short hand) like

   lout 'address@hidden'

and my wish is to have added

   lout -bothsides

as a short hand to

   lout 'address@hidden'

Jeff, if you don't have a 2-side capable postscript printer, I can
test lout for you! Unfortunately, I don't know how to have the
/Duplex feature added at the right place in the generated output. Very
probably, it is only a matter of a well designed @SysPrependGraphic!

####

Another unrelated idea: perhaps it is time to setup a Lout newsgroup
(eg comp.text.lout) but I can't help about it! Does any one know how
much are there Lout users in the world? (hundreds or thousands or
more?)

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat à l Energie Atomique
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) 01,69.08.85.68; phone: 01,69.08.40.66; home: 01,46.65.45.53
email: Basile . Starynkevitch @ cea . fr  (but remove white space)
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle français, anglais, russe.