lout-users

Re: Strange behavior of "root" in "over"'s context

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: Re: Strange behavior of "root" in "over"'s context
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 13:46:53 +0100

Il Thu, 30 Dec 1999 21:58:56 +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov scriveva:

>"sup" shifts the horizontal mark proportionally (i.e. in terms of
>w-unit).  This is probably fine for "sup" proper, but for "root"
>there's a natural delimiter below the index, the 'tick' of the
>radical, so in this case we are more interested in the distance
>between the tick of the radical and the index.  "root" should probably
>use a different symbol, similar to "sup" but tailored to this
>particular usage.

Maybe. Couldn't, though, this thing of descendants be definitely solved by
putting the mark at last on the baseline (where it was, for that I know, in
every known typesetting system, starting probably from Gutenberg's one)?
I realize this may mean having to switch to a 3 dimensional object model,
but then this is what typesetting systems had to face from the beginning.

Ciao.