[Ltib] IEEE 1588 time synchronization

From: Awad, Sinan (GE Healthcare)
Subject: [Ltib] IEEE 1588 time synchronization
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:41:55 +0100

Hello all

I'm trying to understand if we need to move from MPC8347 to MPC8360 in our boards.
One of the features that most attracts, is the eTSEC which includes support for IEEE 1588 PTP time synchronization.
I need to synchronize the clock of 3 boards via ethernet, I need a time resolution of under 1ms.

- Has anyone had the pleasure of playing around with time synchronization ?
- Do I really need the hardware capabilities for this type of time resolution ? or can I implement it in software ?
- Does LTIB or linux in general have the capabilty to synchronize to this time resolution ?

Thanks in advance.
Sinan