RE: [Ltib] Compact Flash on MPC8349ITX?

From: D'Abbraccio Joe
Subject: RE: [Ltib] Compact Flash on MPC8349ITX?
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:59:12 -0700

Hi Chip,

The BSP that you are using has a Readme.txt file that describes what you
are trying to do.  I have pasted it here for your convenience.

How To Insert And Mount A Compact Flash Device:
1. Make sure that the MPC8349E-mITX unit is powered off.  If the
MPC8349E-mITX
   board is mounted in the case, you will need to open the case and
remove the
   board from the lower case half.
2. Insert the compact flash device into the compact flash slot at the
bottom
   of the MPC8349E-mITX board.
3. The default Linux kernel configuration for the MPC8349E-mITX does not
have
   Compact flash support enabled.  You will need to re-build the kernel
from
   the default build to add support for the compact flash device.  The
kernel
   configuration options that are required are:
      CONFIG_IDE=y
      CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
      CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
      CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
   You can simply rebuild the kernel using LTIB and selecting the kernel
   "config file" within LTIB called "2.6.13 with Compact Flash Support"
as
   follows:
./ltib -c
# select the menu option -> config file (2.6.13))  --->
# and select the option "2.6.13 with Compact Flash Support"
4. You can either tftpboot the resulting kernel (in rootfs/boot/uImage)
or
   flash you new kernel image file.  See section called "How To Flash
Your
   Linux Kernel And Minimal Ramdisk File System - Optional:"
5. After powering-up the board, you should see something like the
following at
   the bottom of the u-boot screen:
IDE:   Bus 0: OK
Device 0: Model: Hitachi XX.V.3.4.0.0 Firm: Rev 0.00 Ser#: X0406
20050907115920
            Type: Removable Hard Disk
            Capacity: 244.3 MB = 0.2 GB (500400 x 512)
6. After booting the kernel, you should see message similar to the
following in
   the kernel's dmesg's.
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: Hitachi XX.V.3.4.0.0, CFA DISK drive
ide0 at 0xd1000000-0xd1000007,0xd100020c on irq 23
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 500400 sectors (256 MB) w/1KiB Cache, CHS=695/15/48
hda: cache flushes not supported
 hda: hda1

7. You could see the compact flash device as a fixed disk by issuing the
   "fdisk -l" command as follows:
-sh-2.05b# fdisk -l
 hda: hda1

Disk /dev/hda: 256 MB, 256204800 bytes
15 heads, 48 sectors/track, 695 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 720 * 512 = 368640 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1         695      250176    6  FAT16

8. Assuming that your flash device is already formatted as a FAT16 file
system
   as the one used in these examples, you can then mount the file system
as
   follows:
mkdir -p cf
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 cf
-sh-2.05b# ls cf        # to display files on the compact flash
flash_~1.bin  rootfs~1.ubo  rootfs~2.ubo  u-boot.bin    uimage