[Ltib] problem installing ltib under FC9

From: Geoffrey M. Garner
Subject: [Ltib] problem installing ltib under FC9
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:11:58 -0400

Dear All,

I've been attempting to install the LTIB package for the MPC8313E board under Fedora Core 9 (the machine uses an Athlon 64 FX-55).  The installation has failed; I'm sending this email to find out if anyone else has seen this problem and might have a possible solution.

I attempted the installation from the BSP CD; the date of the CD is 8/31/2007 (770-76480 Rev A).  The installation directory is /opt/freescale/ltib.  I gave my use account ownership of /opt, to ensure that it would have permissions to create subdirectories and copy files (the install script will not run from root).

The first issue occurs in the install script (the file 'install' in the root directory of the CD), on line 116 of the script.  The script attempts to copy the directory 'pkgs' from the cd to the installation directory (/opt/freescale/ltib/ltib-mpc8313erdb-20070824) using 'cp -a '.  This fails; I get the message that I don't have the necessary permissions.  At first I didn't understand this, as my user id owns /opt.  However, it appears this occurs because SELinux (used in FC9) does not allow cp -a to be used in this manner.  'cp -a' is equivalent to 'cp -cdpR' according the man page for cp, and the -c argument preserves the file contexts.  This apparently prevents the copying (I am not sufficiently familiar with SELinux to know why).  In any case, I was able to manually copy the files using 'cp -dpR', i.e., removing the '-c' argument.  I then attempted to continue running the install script manually (i.e., typing each line from the command line, using the correct paths); this is because I could not change the install file on the cd (unless I were to burn a new cd).

The next issue occurred on line 125 of the install script; this attempts to execute the file 'ltib' that is in the /opt/freescale/ltib/ltib-mpc8313erdb-20070824 directory.  This fails on line 1208, with the error that the glibc-devel package is either not installed or out of date.  However, I do actually have glibc-devel installed (the x86_64 version) -- version 2.8-3.  Line 1208 of the ltib script is the function check_basic_deps(), which is defined on lines 1823 through 1870 of the ltib script.  Near the beginning of the script ltib is a list of the packages needed, and glibc-devel is the third (the first 2 are glibc and glibc-headers -- also x86_64 versions).  Assuming the dependencies are checked in the order of this list, those 2 packages are found.

I also went to the freescale web site and downloaded an iso for the 8313 BSP, in the event that this might be a later version.  However, it seems to be the same as what is on the CD.

Any suggestions on how to install ltib under Fedora Core 9 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Geoff Garner