Re: [Ltib] How to get device nodes into zImage?

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] How to get device nodes into zImage?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:32:09 +0000

Hi Ned,

I'm a bit confused here. zImage is normally just the kernel, the device
nodes come from whatever userspace package is selected.  The default for
imx27 is static.  You should see these in rootfs/dev/

When ramdisk or jffs2 image is made, the device nodes are not copied
from there, instead genext2fs takes the option -D (which is
bin/device_table.txt) which is what it uses to create the device nodes
within the image.

As I said before, initramfs is coming to Savannah later.  However even
then we normally keep the kernel image and the userspace initramfs
separate (as for ramdisk or jffs2 image).  It is possible to combine
then (catted kernel+root) but generally we don't do this (some platforms
do IIRC).

Regards, Stuart