Re: [Ltib] skell-1.13 should have a slightly different PATH in /etc/prof

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: [Ltib] skell-1.13 should have a slightly different PATH in /etc/profile
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:59:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i just noticed the contents of /etc/profile in skell-1.13 regarding
> the default search path:
>
>   PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
>
> the problem with this path is that it doesn't give users the freedom
> to override some of the standard system utilities with any of their
> locally-written ones since /usr/local/bin is at the end.
>
>   a more flexible choice would be:
>
>   PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
>
> which keeps the system utilities at the front, but allows installation
> of alternates in /usr/local/bin to override standard programs.  not a
> big deal, of course, but the second PATH would be more in line with
> what you'd find in common linux distros.

  actually, it just occurred to me that a better PATH would be:

  /usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

which allows for the overriding for both system and standard
utilities, if anyone else was interested in that kind of change.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.