[Ltib] R/O root filesystem prevents the use of "mknod"

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: [Ltib] R/O root filesystem prevents the use of "mknod"
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:52:11 -0500 (EST)

  i haven't read far enough to know if this is an ltib limitation but,
for the first time yesterday, we took our nicely-functioning
NFS-mounted root filesystem, flashed it, rebooted and ... uh oh.

  this was the first time we added new functionality that consisted of
file with "mknod", which failed when installed in flash since /dev is
part of the R/O root filesystem and therefore "mknod" won't work.

  we got around it with the hacky solution of adding the device files
ahead of time in device_table.txt, but that requires hardcoding the
major device numbers, which we're trying to avoid.  it's a quick fix,
but not suitable for a long term solution.

  we can't be the only folks who have run across this.  what's the
normal approach for this?  thanks.

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.                          Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA