Re: [Ltib] Kernel panic with RAMDISK

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Kernel panic with RAMDISK
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:53:47 +0100

Hi Gerade,

You probably need to contact Freescale to get support with this as I don't have hardware to try this out.

However, here's some suggestions:

* Have you tried booting from an initrd that you've tftp'ed to the same load address ?

* Have you tried storing exactly the same image into your jffs2 filesystem ?

* Can you verify the integrity of the rootfs you have stored in jffs2

* Did you pass the load address in the jffs2 case ?

* If you boot in another way, are you able to access the jffs2 filesystem (decompress/mount it)?

Regards, Stuart

Gérard LASSAILLY wrote:
Using LTIB for MCF54455EVB (COLDFIRE) we can’t got boot with an initrd.
When using rootfs.jffs2 we can boot.

We have added in General Setup (KERNEL 2.6.23) : Initial RAM filesystem and
RAM disk support And Root=/dev/ram0 in bootargs
==> Without success.

We can see U-boot : “loading Ramdisk to 43CD50000, end 43F8C74F … OK”
message.

But kernel already finish with :

List of all partitions :
1f00   ...... (mtdblock0....)
No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext2 msdos vfat
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Un     able toi mount root fs on
unknown-block(1, 0)

What are we missing?
Does using MTD have some effect on initrd use?

Best regards

Gérard LASSAILLY
KN SYSTEMES
80 avenue Archimède -  BP60284