Re: [Ltib] [patch] Better logfile handling

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] [patch] Better logfile handling
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:16:21 +0100

Hi Svein,

I think Tom's suggestion is good.

The primary reason for the host_config.log being as it is is so that I can get a clean capture of new installation failures. This is the most common failure as new distributions come out and so is more for my sanity as I can ask people to send it to me.

Regards, Stuart

Svein Seldal wrote:
Hi

I was annoyed by the fact that host_config.log was deleted whenever --hostcf was run. If you had an ongoing tail running on that file, you'd have to restart tail to get the new output.

The attached patch doesn't delete the log prior to use. It truncates the file instead (which apps like tail is capable of detecting).

Please apply if found relevant/interesting.

BTW: I'm missing a similar logfile-feature like host_config.log for target building, like target_config.log. Because this is only available in --hostcf, isn't it?

To redirect/pipe ltib's output to file with or without tee will put a lot of ncurses code into the log, which results in unreadable logs.

What do you think?

- Svein