Re: [Ltib] Guide/Best Practices for developing and building new package

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Guide/Best Practices for developing and building new package for LTIB
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:01:41 +0100

Hi B.J.

A lot depends on the type of package(s) you're trying to build. If they're stand-alone (don't have many dependencies) then provided you have cross compiler you can use any number of approaches from command line (make CC=${CROSS}cc} to using IDEs etc.

If on the other hand your package has dependencies then using something like LTIB as an environment would greatly simplify things. If you want to be in LTIB's normal build environment you can used: "./ltib -m shell" this sets up spoofing etc.

Ideally it would be nice to have a native MAC OS/X port, but currently I don't have time/resources to do that. So if you need access to firewire you are probably best installing on another Linux PC as you say.

Regards, Stuart

B.J. Buchalter wrote:
Hi folks,

So, I would like to start working on building some software for our dev board -- beyond a package or port that already exists. That is, I am not looking to bring a package to LTIB -- rather I would like to start building new code from scratch, but within the cross-compile/deployment environment. Eventually, I would like to package it up for LTIB.

I've read over the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to address this aspect of development within the LTIB environment.

Can anyone summarize the steps and best practices to get started, or is there a resource on the web that someone could point me at?

One constraint for me is that while I have LTIB running in a virtual box environment (under Mac OS X), the software I am working on really needs access to the FireWire hardware, so it is not really applicable to do the development in the normal host environment. If that is strongly recommended I guess I will have to set up a linux PC for that purpose.

Anyway, suggestions cheerfully accepted.

Thanks!

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
http://www.mhlabs.com