Re: [Ltib] ugly config menus & LANG

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] ugly config menus & LANG
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 15:13:49 +0100

Hi Michael,

Originally the LANG=C was put there to work around a very specific bug ([\S] not working in Redhat 8's Perl if UTF8 was set IIRC?). However although the LANG setting can/will influence the characters in the mconf stuff, it's more likely that your TERM environment variable is messing things up. Normally I run with TERM=xterm, maybe you could try this (after restoring your changes to LTIB).

I'm not sure why the kernel/busybox configs are different, fundamentally they have the same origins, maybe LTIBs is older?

Which version of Ubuntu do you run? also can you dump your env outside/inside LTIB (./ltib -m shell then type env)

Unfortunately I don't have any Ubuntu to hand, I'm running DreamLinux 3.5 (which is basically Debian Lenny).

One other thing to try outside LTIB is:

/opt/ltib/usr/bin/mconf config/main.lkc

This runs the mconf LTIB used directly on the top level platform choice, this will let you figure out if LTIB is playing a part in this, or whether it's a problem with either environment and/or the particular version of mconf used in LTIB.

Regards, Stuart

Michael Jones wrote:
For some time now, my config menus in LTIB have been really ugly, with erroneous characters displayed instead of e.g. +------------------------+. It is not only ugly, but on screens with lists, it gets garbled as I cursor around.

This applied to my LTIB config, the kernel config, and BusyBox config. I noticed that doing a kernel menuconfig outside of LTIB looked fine. I compared "printenv" between the two and saw that LTIB sets the environment variable "LANG=C", whereas outside of LTIB this was "en_US.UTF-8".

So I stuck in a line in ltib:run_plat_config() to change this back before the LTIB config screen to see what would happen:
$ENV{LANG} = 'en_US.UTF-8';

With this change, my kernel config and BusyBox config look good again, but the main LTIB config is still messy. Of the many differences in the environment variables, none of them jump out at me as culprits (both show LANG=en_US.UTF-8). Has anyone else bumped into this? What might be the correct way to go about correcting/debugging this, instead of my hack?

I use Ubuntu, and have checked out LTIB via CVS.

thanks,
Michael

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner, Hans-Joachim Reich