Re: [Ltib] Problem trhing to add ATF package to LTIB

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Problem trhing to add ATF package to LTIB
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:51:48 +0000

Hi Peter,

You've hit upon one of the open-source worlds nastiest dependency loops.
 You need a newer package X, you get that and then Y needs a newer
package and so on.  autoconf/make are "problematic" as they seem to be
very version sensitive.

If you upgrade these, you'd probably find a bunch of the current
packages fail.  What this means is that to move forward to a later
vintage, a number of package would need to be moved forward at the same
time (quite a lot of work).

In terms of the automake/autoconf build ordering in LTIB (for host
packages) the order is controlled by config/userspace/pkg_map and from
what I see autoconf is built before automake, so I don't understand
quite what the issue is that you're seeing (the order seems to be what
you want?)

To me it sounds like the ATF package is not quite right.  I would not
expect to have to run autoconf/automake unless I'm a developer of the
package (this is normal due to the horrible version dependencies of
those).  That being the case, one solution may be to ask the developer
to include a pre-made configure (and other outputs of autoconf/automake)
in his releases (snapshots) and to try those in LTIB (e.g. don't run
autoconf/automake, just run ./configure).

Regards, Stuart