Re: [Ltib] ffmpeg / cross-compile with LTIB produces big binaries and le

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] ffmpeg / cross-compile with LTIB produces big binaries and leave static libs on rootfs
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:12:37 +0100

Hi Franz,

Normally I'd expect executables to be dynamically linked by default.  I
looked into this and found that by default ffmpeg builds statically (I
think the packager missed this).  I've just checked in an update to
ffmpeg.spec that now makes it build using shared libs.  The size looks
normal now (77k)

As a sidebar, so far as .a files go, they are no problem on the rootfs
are as this is used for package linking/interface and so leaves open the
option to statically link should you wish to do so (noMMU targets for
example).

When you deploy an image (non-NFS) there is a default option that
removes .a files run ./ltib -m config and you'll see in

--- Target Image Generation / Options  --->
()  remove these files
[*] remove the static libraries
(/var/lib/rpm) remove target rpm database

Regards, Stuart

Franz Trierweiler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Finally, I am trying to replace image magick with ffmpeg on the iMX25. This
> way,
I will be using an available package from LTIB instead of trying to add
to LTIB an external package.

> I built the ffmpeg package with LTIB and noticed (as for image magick - see
> my previous message)
that ./rootfs/usr/bin/ffmpeg is very big (more than 5 MB) compared to
the binary I have on my Ubuntu
host (of course the Ubuntu version uses shared libs and is therefore
lighter). In addition to this, I
noticed that some libs of type "a" remain on the target filesystem
(example:  ./rootfs/usr/lib/libavdevice.a).
Type "a" libs are used only at static link time (thus once, during the
build process). Thus my questions are: