Re: [Ltib] Choosing Source Packages

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Choosing Source Packages
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:15:17 +0100

Hi Mark,

LTIB uses both currently and both are acceptable.  Another option is
Fedora, but like Debian packages, you have to be a little cautious if
the package is heavily patched or has a lot of build processing aimed at
desktops.

The other thing to consider is that LTIB packages tend to relatively old
as I don't chase the latest versions just for the sake of it (limited
bandwidth and later is often bigger and more dependency ridden).

I would recommend trying the LTIB srpm import mechanism that will
automate a lot of the process for you: go to:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/source/SRPMS/
and download the srpm for Ruby and then try:

./ltib -m addsrpms /some/path/ruby-xxx.fc9.src.rpm

You will probably have to fixup the converted spec file (it will be in
dist/lfs-5.1/ruby/) but the good news is that it will be added into the
config system for you (you'll see it if you run ./ltib -m config).

Regards, Stuart