[Ltib] About the deployment process / terminology

From: Franz TRIERWEILER
Subject: [Ltib] About the deployment process / terminology
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:39:06 +0200

Hi,

Spec files define pfx as:

%define pfx /opt/freescale/rootfs/%{_target_cpu}

The RPM_BUILD_ROOT variable is initialized by rpm as the value provided by tag "BuildRoot" ( %{_tmppath}/%{name} ). rpmbuild sets _tmppath as /home/<login>/ltib/tmp' and name is read from the package name tag.

The RPM_BUILD_ROOT variable is usually passed to make tool by:

make install prefix=%{_prefix} DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{pfx} when rpm enters the installation clause.

Thus, finally the installation path is /home/<login>/ltib/tmp/{name}/opt/freescale/rootfs/%{_target_cpu}/prefix (usually, prefix = /usr)

Once the build is done, my understanding is that this tmp directory contains the result of the build, ready to be copied (or "deployed") somewhere.

I would like to know it the deployment process (m -scdeploy) is entirely managed by LTIB (and thus unknown to rpm since rpm only builds, and does not "deploy") and finally, if the "deployment" terminology only refers to the process of feeding ./ltib/rootfs with the new files and updating the jffs2 image file?

Thanks for your help in understanding the LTIB philosophy and process.

Regards,
Franz