Re: [Ltib] PKG_KERNEL_LEAVSRC issues...

From: Stuart Hughes
Subject: Re: [Ltib] PKG_KERNEL_LEAVSRC issues...
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 20:24:12 +0000

Hi Peter,

See inline:

Peter Barada wrote:
> On 12/20/2010 04:35 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I'm going to need to re-read this email as at first read I'm not exactly
>> sure what you are running into.  If possible can you reduce it to 2
>> sentences of; "I expected this... but observe this...."

> Ok, to clear things up, I expect if I remove rpm/RPMS/arm/kernel*.rpm
> and everything in rpm/BUILD that "./ltib" will "do the right thing",
> namely %prep, %build but not %clean the kernel if I have a package
> enabled that selects PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC.  Since PKG_*_LEAVESRC is a
> transient config it fails when I try to build helloworld_mod.

Okay I can see what you mean, that's a bug/design flaw.

I think a simple fix maybe to just make LEAVESRC non-transient, but I
worry about some unwanted side-effect.  I have a vague recollection that
I was going to do this at one point and backed out.

Maybe for now you could try for your use cases by deleting line 3149:

        s,^(\w+LEAVESRC)=y,# $1 is not set,;

>> Just to shed some light on the design, normally .config will override
>> defconfig, however if you touch defconfig ltib will notice this and use
>> the updated defconfig.  The purpose of this is so that if you have an
>> autobuilder and check-in an update to defconfig, the autobuilder will use
>> the updated defconfig.

> In this case I have not touched any of the config files...

No, but I wanted you to understand that touching the defconfig file will
have this effect in case you run into it or want to know how to trigger
this behaviour.

>> Regarding "LEAVESRC" the idea is that this only needs to be transient as
>> once a package is left unpacked, it will never be removed and so on
>> subsequence builds the same sources remain there and just get re-built.
> True, but being "paranoid" especially if I'm mucking with the config(s)
> and package spec files, its easiest to force multiple package rebuilds
> by deleting their resultant .rpm and rpm/BUILD directories and executing
> "./ltib".  Also my buildbot leaves its universe alone (i.e. all it does
> is "svn update; ./ltib -m clean; ./ltib -b --preconfig
> config/platform/<platform>/defconfig").
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something - how can I tell LTIB to remove a
> package's source (that's left around due to LEAVESRC) - if its exists in
> rpm/BUILD, ltib cowardly refuses to remove it even if I update its .spec
> file. So I added a "rm -rf rpm/BUILD/* to the buildbot steps and ended
> up w/o kernel source and helloworld_mod failing.

The idea is once a package source is unpacked the only way it will get
removed is manually (or by some external autobuild script).  The reason
is that you may be working on that source (e.g. developing a kernel
driver), the last thing you want is to lose those changes.  Touching the
 .spec file just means that you want a rebuild, not that any sources
need unpacking (unless they are not there already).