[Ltib] Using official LTIB release instead of Freescale's

From: Neven Boric
Subject: [Ltib] Using official LTIB release instead of Freescale's
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:09:08 -0300

Hi

I'm evaluating the Freescale MPC8309 CPU for a project. I have the MPC8309KIT evaluation board, which comes with a copy of LTIB for its BSP. This is my first encounter with LTIB. I have already reviewed the docs included in the Freescale DVD, I succesfuly built and ran some test images, and skimmed through the mail list archives. Previously, I have worked for a few years with OpenWRT on an IXP4XX CPU, so I'm very familiar with that. I have some questions, mostly about how to do things I'm used to doing with OpenWRT. For future reference, I thought it was best to separate each question in a different email, so the subject is specific to the question. Here goes the first question.

I'm assuming Freescale periodically takes a snapshot of LTIB, generates some patches, and ships that as the BSP. Or maybe they maintain their own port. In any case, are those patches contributed back to the LTIB project? Can I grab the latest LTIB version and expect it to work on my board, or I have to stick to the version Freescale provides? The DVD came with version 9.1.1, which doesn't seem to be an official LTIB release (or maybe Freescale uses a different versioning scheme?)

I found a previous question about this topic:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/ltib/2011-01/msg00002.html

The answer seems to suggest that Freescale does not (always?) contribute back the necessary changes for LTIB to support their platforms. Is that correct?

Of course another question is what I would gain by using a newer LTIB release. I suppose features are being added and I could find more included or newer version of packages. I couldn't find a changelog. Should I treat CVS as official changelog?

Regards
Neven Boric