Re: [Ltib] Handling PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC?

From: Peter Barada
Subject: Re: [Ltib] Handling PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:31:01 -0500

On 02/15/2012 05:01 AM, Stuart Hughes wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> The philosophy is that unpacked source is never clobbered.
>
> To do what you want, you would be better to have your kernel source code
> outside ltib (under git control etc).
>
> To do this, run ./ltib -m config and under "choose your kernel", select
> "Local Linux directory build", you can then point ltib to use your SCM
> control kernel tree.  When you're done, you can roll it up (as a patch
> against the original or whatever makes senses).
Stuart, that works only for the kernel, not if there at inter-package
dependencies _outside_ of the kernel.

Mike, I've gone through this before when setting up buildbot to create
images as a front end for an automated test system and ran into your
_exact_ problem.  In my case I have a OMAP wl12xx WiFi driver/utility
package that needs access to openssl and wpa_supplicant _source_ to
build as it uses internal functions from those packages (I wouldn't have
written it that way but its what I'm stuck with).

To solve this problem for automated builds using buildbot, I added a
"--clobber" option to LTIB that removes a package's build directory if
the packages .spec file changes.  The changes are pretty minimal; see
this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/ltib/2011-01/msg00055.html

Stuart, I understand the philosophy that unpacked source is never
clobbered, but in my/Mike's case where we are trying to use LTIB in
continuous integration systems, there is a need to be able to do this in
an automated manner, and "--clobber" is about the best I can think of...