lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] mem(p) allocator change request

From: Kaos
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] mem(p) allocator change request
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:32:15 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

[snip]
There are reasons you might want to have different allocators for
different buffer types. For example, a PCB should never be sent over
ethernet, while a packet header will be. By allowing different allocators
for different types, we allow the user to do things like allocate packet
headers from DMA pinned memory for example, while other types can use
regular memory.

Good point. I'm currently not in need of this kind of functionality, but as
long as I don't _have_ to use it, great :)

[snip]
The extra CPU overhead is just the extra indirection(s) when doing the
function call, which are probably so small in the scheme of things that
they are not worth considering.

I agree. I have alot of function pointers, spinning around it's own tail,
to solve device driver stuff and what-not.. so another set of fp's won't make
it much worse ;o)

// Andreas