lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #1902] Timeouts and semaphores/mailboxes are too tight

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #1902] Timeouts and semaphores/mailboxes are too tightly integrated
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:43:26 +0000

>>I think you have to assume the OS clock is accurate - what else can you
do!
>OK, but hooking on the timer tick still can make porting a hard thing

I wasn't intending to imply a timer hook is better. Polling the current time
is far more portable.

The reason I mentioned lwip_select, is because that calls
sys_sem_wait_timeout, which works in terms of lwip timeouts as set by
sys_timeout().

So users who have their own timeouts using the lwip infrastructure (e.g.
Dmitri), would want that to continue to work, and wouldn't want that support
removed. Maybe we should just remove it anyway and make them change, so long
as that's a conscious decision.

Alternatively we keep the functions for users, but don't use them inside the
stack itself.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?1902>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/