lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] For those of you working with an Altera product...

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] For those of you working with an Altera product...
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:59:05 -0400

Personally, and I'm not a developer of lwIP, I'm pretty damn offended in
consideration of those who are by:

<quote>
Royalty Free, TCP/IP Source Code

A so-called "Free TCP/IP Stack" is usually worth exactly what was paid for
it, and the cost of understanding and then supporting it for your embedded
development project is often far more than a royalty-free source code
license from InterNiche.

</quote>

Wow. I can say one thing - I've had a lot more problems and a much larger
learning curve with the $6000 Freescale CodeWarrior.  Sure, it's a larger
more complex program, but it defies "You get what you pay for" by a large
margin.  I would say this is false advertising - we all get a *lot* more
than we paid - all costs considered - for lwIP.

Sorry to go off topic, but this struck a nerve.  And so it's a good time to
thank everyone for a great job on lwIP - I know we all know this, but it
really is a very good implementation of TCP/IP and a well-written library of
code, especially in light of the goals it sets to achieve and does, and the
platforms it can (and will) work on.

Ditto - keep up the great work!  And thank you!

Bill