lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #6253] Added csum to struct pbuf.

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #6253] Added csum to struct pbuf.
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:52:38 +0000

Update of patch #6253 (project lwip):

             Assigned to:                    None => goldsimon

Follow-up Comment #14:

> Since, when my app. generate udp payload, it do it directly to
> preallocated buffer, and do it in asm routine, i.e. payload csum
> calculation is part of payload data generation process.

The standard lwIP procedure for this kind of MAC would be to check the 2
checksums for correctness in your driver (i.e. before passing them to the lwIP
input functions) and to discard packets with invalid checksums right away. You
can then turn off checksum checking on receive for protocols you know (this
would be tcp, udp and icmp presumably). While this involves a little bit of
'hacked' code (processing IP and transaport layer in MAC driver), it is more
performant and also what is done in more advanced MACs (discarding packets
with wrong checksums).

As to sending packets: From what you say, I think saving the checksum per
packet (not per pbuf) would still be OK: You would include the transport
checksum (data only, not header) when filling the pbuf, this transport
checksum could be recalculated when the transport header is added; the IP
checksum can't be calculated while copying as there is no copying involved
when filling the header (i.e. IP checksum will be generated as it is now). For
eth header, there is no checksum!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6253>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/