lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Removing the restriction on number of sockets

From: Joan Lledó
Subject: [lwip-devel] Removing the restriction on number of sockets
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:48:34 +0200

Hello,

I'm porting LwIP to the Hurd as my Google Summer of Code project. In
our port, we're using the sockets API but we need to remove the
restriction of having a maximum amount of sockets.

I'm looking for advice on how to do this in a way it's acceptable for
upstreaming. This is my proposal:

- Add a new lwipopts.h macro to disable the restriction
- Allow enabling that macro only if MEM_LIBC_MALLOC is enabled
- When this new macro is disabled, just use the current code with the
static array of sockets
- When this new macro is enabled
- Add new pointers to struct lwip_sock to make it a linked list
- Declare "sockets" as a pointer to struct lwip_sock pointing to the
first element in the linked list
- Use mem_alloc() to allocate new sockets
- Modify alloc_socket(), free_socket(), get_socket() and
tryget_socket() to deal with the list

What do you think?