lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callba

From: Douglas
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callback
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 07:24:02 -0500 (EST)

> You can pass 'mdns_resp_announce' to tcpip_callback() (which won't get
removed!) or sys_timeout(). That will fix your stack requirements.

Yes, that was my proposed solution. What landed was:

> I just committed that adding netifs/services does not automatically announce
any more.

I have explained the problem a few times now, giving the example of the ipv4
address changing and triggering an announcement. This is not addressed by the
change that landed.

It could work if every caller that triggers an ipv4 address change also queues
a 'mdns_resp_announce', but that would appear to defeat the purpose of having
the LWIP_NETIF_EXT_STATUS_CALLBACK.

Further the change that landed is not necessary if with the solution proposed,
and just creates a greater burden for the caller (to have to explicitly
trigger an announcement after adding a service).

> I always think it's better to keep things in sync.

Yes, I make an effort to try to sync changes upstream for the benefit of the
wider community. But there are a lot of other issues, so I don't want to get
bogged down on this. The esp8266 might be an extremely limited device for
lwip, for example it seems to have too little ram for pool allocation. Even an
extra 1/2 KB stack burden across a few threads is a problem. These might not
seem like issues for the larger lwip community so perhaps some differences are
expected. So the only other suggestion would be to make it optional to
schedule the announcement, so that the source differences were minimal?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52770>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/